2.11.2010

Horton's Clover Hunt

Horton's Clover Hunt

Who doesn't love the story Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. Seuss. For those of you who aren't familiar with this particular tale, Horton the elephant takes on the task of protecting tiny creatures living on a dust speck that he has placed on a clover.

At one point in the story, a bird steals the clover from Horton and drops it over a very large clover field at 6:56 a.m. Ever the faithful protector and true to his promise to save them, "Because, after all, a person's a person, no matter how small," Horton begins the enormous task of searching for the lost clover.


But clover, by clover, by clover he found
That the one that he sought for was just not around.
And by noon poor old Horton, more dead than alive,
Had picked, searched, and piled up, nine thousand and five.

1. At this rate, estimate how many clovers Horton picked each minute.
2. Approximately how many seconds did Horton spend on each clover?

 For each of the above answers, round to the nearest whole unit.

 The story continues

Then, on through the afternoon, hour after hour...
Till he found them at last! On the three millionth flower!

You need only choose one of these questions to answer:

A. If Horton continued at the rate you calculated above without pausing, how long would it take him to reach the three millionth flower? Be sure to answer this question in a way that makes sense (in other words, don't give an answer like 72 hours when 3 days would give us a better sense of how long this is).

or

B. In the story it seems that Horton finds the clover later the same day. If he continued picking from noon until he found the clover at six o'clock that same evening, approximately how fast would he have to work?

This weeks POW is fun,
Comprehensive answers will be done,
Incomplete answers are not fine,
Nor is just having the "answer" in mind,
Working in partners will do
But don't post until your answer is true.  :-)


Dr. Suesseckman

Solution: Most of you were right on the money for the rate per minute and also seconds per clover, however you were kind of all over the place for the last two questions.   ;-)  Please think these through carefully before posting you answers.  Many of you posted the same answer, exactly!  You are given the privilege of working together however when it comes to posting it needs to be your own work, thoughts and words.  Duplicate posts will no longer accepted.  I will accept the first post and credit it's author and then reject any posts using the same verbiage and will not credit the author with a score.  Further, the posts writing has moved away from the posting requirements.  Please review the requirements as future posts that do not meet the requirements will not be posted nor will credit be assigned for the problem. 


1. At this rate, estimate how many clovers Horton picked each minute.
a. 30 clovers per minute

2. Approximately how many seconds did Horton spend on each clover?
a. 2 seconds per clover. 

You need only choose one of these questions to answer:
a. If Horton continued at the rate you calculated above without pausing, how long would it take him to reach the three millionth flower? Be sure to answer this question in a way that makes sense (in other words, don't give an answer like 72 hours when 3 days would give us a better sense of how long this is). 
a. It would take Horton about 10 weeks of non-stop picking to get 3 million clovers. 

or

b. In the story it seems that Horton finds the clover later the same day. If he continued picking from noon until he found the clover at six o'clock that same evening, approximately how fast would he have to work? 
a. 8,308 clovers per minute to finish by 6:00 pm.










18 comments:

Anonymous said...

HW

For this problem, I saw that he had searched for 5 hours and 4 minutes, so I rounded it to 5 hours. I then saw that he found 9005, and I rounded it to 9000. I then did
9000/5= 1800
1800/60= 30
So, Horton picks 30 clovers per minute. For number 2, I have to figure out how many seconds he spent on each clover, and since he takes 30 clovers per minute, I did 60/30=2. So, he spends 2 seconds on each clover.

I chose to answer B. I chose it because it looked easier. To do it, you have to know that he found it on the 3,000,000th flower, and it took him six hours to find it. 3000000/6=500000. Horton has to pick 500000 flowers per hour.

Anonymous said...

J.M.
Horton would pick about 150 clovers an hour. I got my answer by dividing 9005 by 60 and I got 150. At this rate it would take about it would take about 111 days to reach the 1 millionth flower. I got my answer by dividing 1 million by 9005 and I got around 111.

Anonymous said...

AM

1. For the problem he searched for 5 hours and 4 minutes. So I rounded it to 5. Then I saw that he looked at 9,005 clovers so I rounded that to 9,000. I estimated that he looked at 1,800 clovers per minute.


2. He spent about 30 seconds on each clover because 1,800 divided by 60 equals 30. You do that because there is 60 seconds in a minute.

B. there is 6 hours and he has to pick 3,000,000 clover and 3,000,000 divided by
6 is 500,000. so he has to pick 500,000 flowers and hour.

Anonymous said...

MJS

1. estimated about 30 clovers a minute.
I got this by turning 5 hours and 4 minutes into 304 min. Horton was frantically looking for the clover he pulled up 30 clovers a minute.

2. Horton pulled up 1 clover every 2 seconds. That’s really quick for someone so big and usually slow.
B. Horton has to pick 500,00 clover an hour.

Anonymous said...

WO
Horton would probably pick 2 clovers per 2 seconds since there were so many and they were easy to pick. There are 60 seconds in a minute so you would multiply 2 by 60, 120. It would take him 111 days to reach the clover in all the flowers.

Anonymous said...

EBC

Horton would probably pick 2 clovers per 2 seconds since there were so many and they were easy to pick. There are 60 seconds in a minute so you would multiply 2 by 60, 120. It would take him 111 days to reach the clover in all the flowers.

Anonymous said...

BV

1. I estimate that Horton picks up about 30 a minute. Because, Horton finds out that the clover fell into a gigantic clover field, Horton frantically picks up clovers quickly.
2. Horton spends about 2 seconds on each clover.
B.500, 000 CLOVERS An hour

Anonymous said...

JD
Horton would probably pick 2 clovers per every 2 seconds it would take him 111 days to find his lost clover.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

MW

Horton picked approximately 30 flowers per minute. This is because there was a 5 hour and 4 minute difference between 6:56 AM and noon which is 304 minutes that Horton spent looking through the flowers. We then divided 304 by 9,005, because that is how many flowers he went through in that amount of time, and got 29.61 which we rounde to 30.

Anonymous said...

RT
1. I got 30 flowers per minute. First I figured out the time between when the flower was dropped off to noon which was 5 hours and 4 minutes. Then I converted 5 hours and 4 minutes into 304 minutes. Then I divided 304 by 9,005 which is 30.
2. I got 2 seconds on each clover. I did that by figuring out that you had to divide 60, which is the number of seconds into a minute, by 30 which is 2.
B. I got 4 clovers per minute. I figured this out by dividing 9,005 by 662.4 to 13.5. After that I rounded the number to get 14 {the answer}. I got 662.4 by multiplying 11.04 which is his time by 60{minutes per hour}.

Anonymous said...

AR

1. Horton picked 30 flowers per minute. To figure this out your find how much time elapsed. Then (make sure it’s minutes) divide 9,005 by 304. In case your wondering where the 304 came from, it’s the number of minutes.

2. Horton spent 2 seconds on each clover. Since it was 30 clovers in a minute, divide 60 (the number of seconds in a minute) by 30.

B. Horton would have to pick 8,309 clovers per minute. Subtract 9005 from 3,000,000. Then divide that answer by 360 because 360 minutes is 6 hours.

Anonymous said...

TD

1. For this question, I got approximately30 flowers per a minute. To do this, I figure how much time he had. I figured out it was 5 hours and 4 minutes. I then decided to convert this to minutes which is 304 minutes. I dived 9005 by 304 to get my answer of 30.
2. Horton could use approximately 2 seconds on each clover. To do this I divided 60 by 30.
B. Horton would have to pick approximately 14 clovers per minute. To figure this out, I divided 9005 by 662.4 to 13.5. I then rounded that number to get 14 which is the answer. I got 662.4 by multiplying 11.04, his time, by 60 which is the amount of minutes in an hour.

Anonymous said...

TM
1. Horton picked up 30 flowers per minute. To figure this out you have to find out how much time elapsed. Then (make sure its minuets) divide 9,005 by 304 because that how many minutes are in 5 hours and 4 minutes.


2. Horton spent 2 seconds on each clover. Since it was 30 clovers in a minute, divide 60 (the number of seconds in a minute) by 30.

B. Horton would have to pick 8,309 clovers per minute. Subtract 9,005 from 3,000,000. Then divide that by 360 because 360 minutes is 6 hours.

Anonymous said...

ZB

Horton picked about 30 clovers per minute. There was a 5 hour 4 minute difference between 6:56AM and 12:00PM which would equal 304 minutes. I divided 9,005 by 304 and the number I got was 29.61 and I rounded the number to the nearest whole number, which was 30

Anonymous said...

EEW
1. I got 30 flowers per minute. First, I divided 304(minutes), and 9005(flowers). I rounded it to 30.
2. I got 2 seconds. I divided 30 into 60(the amount of seconds in a minute) and got 2.

Anonymous said...

BT
1. Horton picked approximately 30 flowers per minute. I figured this out by rounding 9005 (flowers) to 9000, then I rounded 304 (minutes) to 300. Then I divided 9000 by 300 and got 30.
2.
Horton spent approximately 45000 seconds on each clover. I figured this out by dividing 300 by 60, because there are 60 seconds in a minute. Then, I multiplied 60 by the amount of flowers, 9000, and got 45000.

Anonymous said...

MW

Horton picked approximately 30 flowers per minute. This is because there was a 5 hour and 4 minute difference between 6:56 AM and noon which is 304 minutes that Horton spent looking through the flowers. We then divided 9,005 by 304, because that is how many flowers he went through in that amount of time, and got 29.61 which we round to 30.